The next Mini’app’les meeting is Tuesday, August 18th, the third Tuesday of the month, at the Hackfactory (3119 E. 26th Street Minneapolis, MN 55406). At 6:30 p.m., members of the board and other knowledgable people will be available if you have speciﬁc questions you would like answered. We will do our best to address your question and help you troubleshoot the issue.
The iPhone 3G introduced A-GPS to the iOS world. Since then, using GPS for driving directions has become pretty common. It’s as easy as saying “Siri, give me directions home.” Your iOS device can also be used as a GPS tracker. So after looking at some current news items, we will look at some apps that help you keep track of your activities. I’ve been using a number of different apps and I’ll share my experiences with them. We will look at using your iOS device for sports tracking, geotagging your point & shoot or DSLR camera’s photos, and schedule tracking. For comparison, I’ll also share my experiences with a stand alone GPS tracker. If you use a GPS tracking app, we’d like to hear your experiences.
We look forward to seeing you there.
Meeting Notes & Links
- Power consumption of the worlds most popular websites calculated on different browsers – Chrome vs Safari vs Firefox
- Chrome add-on’s Tim likes
- The Camelizer
- PriceZombie Price Tracker & Price Comparison
- Chrome add-on’s Tim likes
- Opinion: Here’s why I’m still jailbreaking my iPhone on iOS 8.4
- Why is AAPL stock falling despite record sales, profits and cash?
- How to build a hamster wheel for humans out of iMac boxes
- It’s time for PC companies to copy one of Apple’s best features
- Against the CurrentC: The Apple Pay rival’s continued false start
- It’s About Damn Time: FCC Says Convention Centers Can’t Block Wifi
- The clever reason why Microsoft first put Solitaire on Windows
- Amazon Prime Vs. Jet.com: Which Service is Better…and Why
- 4 of the weirdest things you can buy on Amazon
- tpwn OS X exploit: What you need to know
- Hackers Exploit ‘Flash’ Vulnerability in Yahoo Ads
- How Many Times Has Your Personal Information Been Exposed to Hackers?
- Block & monitor website identity trackers/ads/scripts
Topic: GPS tracking
- MotionX-GPS: GPS App for walking/running/skating/etc for the iPhone and iPad
- MotionX-GPS Drive: GPS App for driving for iPhone and iPad
- Routie: GPS sports tracker for iPhone
- Track Kit Pro: record, edit, keep and present your tracks
- iSmoothRun: Use your iPhone to the max as a training aid for running and multisports.
- Footpath Route Planner: Running / Cycling / Hiking Maps
- My Maps: With My Maps you can view all “Classic My places” data in your Google Maps Account.
- Canmore GPS devices
- GPSBabel: GPSBabel converts waypoints, tracks, and routes between popular GPS receivers such as Garmin or Magellan and mapping programs like Google Earth or Basecamp.
- GPX Editor: View and edit GPX files on your Mac
- Geotagging Photos in Lightroom in 4 Easy Steps
- HoudahGeo: one-stop geocoding for the Mac – Know where you took that photo
- SkyGuide: A star and constellation guide has never been more beautiful and easy to use. Just hold it to the sky to automatically find stars, constellations, planets, satellites and more. It’s stargazing fun for all ages and experience levels!